Normally I’d have an intelligent arguement against this. And I do, a full scale rant as lengthy as my average posts but it’s late and this is the second one of these I’ve seen so “FUCK YOU” will have to do as my opinion for now.
Disney supports classic ideals and “old-fashioned” values such as the damsel in distress, the knight who goes to rescue her. Goodness forbid that it be the other way around, as Disney appears to be gender-biased in the sense that it perpetuates gender stereotypes of ‘man’ and ‘woman’. Sure, there are some strong female protagonists, but in my opinion, when it comes to the fairytales, they are the ones always getting saved.
Now onto the LGBT issue. What is so offensive about portraying or including someone who is not hetero in a film? If Disney tells stories of love that can overcome anything and of villains being thwarted, what is so disgusting and threatening about a prince or a princess who falls in love with someone of their same sex? A narrative could be built around that. And personally, I think some people feel excluded, for although the sentiment is there, the message being sent to children is that a king must always marry a queen( who is a biological female) and that’s all there is to it.
No. Fuck your old fashioned values of female oppression and helplessness and heteronormativity. The world needs new fairytales and new heroes and heroines as well as acceptance of those who love their same sex. Because that is what being human is about, not just a particular, close minded and archaic set of socially acceptable behaviours. I never thought I’d see a black princess, but it happened…despite Walt Disney, whilst alive, being a racist motherfucker.
So,change can take place. Values shift with the time for the better. People become more accepting and re-discover their narratives. the LGBT community should have the right to be represented in Disney fairytales. I personally think Disney is losing its touch. It’s a place of magic, but only if you are straight or cysgender.
Disney is and has always been backwards. Anti-black, Jew, not to mention the obvious mentioned here of anti-gay/bi/trans or even anti-woman. As a woman (or even a girl), I found their messages awful. I only liked the Lion King, when I was no longer a little girl. I did like Ariel a bit (just because I like fantasy characters) but she’s just as “bad” as the others. I also found Aladdin funny (at the time) but same shit, different country. I did like the music (just because it’s catchy) but not the movies as much.
I can’t remember ever wanting to be a princess or damsel in distress who can’t do anything for her own damn self. Maybe I’m interjecting myself now into my old memories a bit. ;p
I never really liked Disney movies as a kid (much) so I’ve just been used to ignoring it. However, I see the point that many people watch these movies and buy all the junk. So, it’d be nice to seem some reality in them. And positive, self-affirming reality at that.
Even just as a woman, Disney movies, in general, make me want to vomit. Also as an Atheist Jew. And the LGBT+ angle is also disturbing. Not even a bi chick? No? Seriously? Even homophobic asshats like bi chicks. ಠ_ಠ
547 Notes/ Hide
- dazzledbycarrie likes this
- danceamicadance reblogged this from waltdisneyconfessions
- punch-a-your-buns reblogged this from waltdisneyconfessions and added:
- johnniebobonnie reblogged this from waltdisneyconfessions
- thequeenofhischoice reblogged this from waltdisneyconfessions
- nagual-of-atuan reblogged this from inventinghope
- littlegreenballoon likes this
- looloogirl reblogged this from faunflora
- lisarlight likes this
- gloriousvaldis likes this
- hohohoceanbitchs likes this
- ironicorgasm reblogged this from hellopeep and added:
- boraelias reblogged this from waltdisneyconfessions
- werefoxfest reblogged this from phobickakashi
- sweetxsecret reblogged this from rifa and added:
- starcatsfolly likes this
- valeriagraham reblogged this from waltdisneyconfessions
- hellopeep reblogged this from waltdisneyconfessions and added:
- nataliabraginski likes this
- ohheybree reblogged this from findpeacewithinchaos
- brenthor likes this
- loveofone likes this
- notmytree likes this
- la1ka reblogged this from lipsredasroses
- hurricane-christine reblogged this from waltdisneyconfessions
- eira-dont-tell-me-what-to-do reblogged this from cronusampvwhora
- rivaille-x likes this
- brittfaceee likes this
- thegirlwithroseearrings reblogged this from spookyclaire
- ohheybree likes this
- justeeen reblogged this from waltdisneyconfessions
- poetessinthepit likes this
- starryyymilk likes this
- cassie-killjoy likes this
- faunflora reblogged this from stuphunuu-muved and added:
- margotkelley likes this
- savage-garden reblogged this from waltdisneyconfessions
- sarabethie likes this
- temperamentalredhead reblogged this from waltdisneyconfessions
- princess-of-dorne likes this
- mirrorbride reblogged this from waltdisneyconfessions and added:
- kikilee reblogged this from waltdisneyconfessions and added:
- sillyparade reblogged this from disputedjustice
- hybridanafrost likes this
- octagon-surgeon likes this
- catypus reblogged this from waltdisneyconfessions and added:
- nightmareloki likes this
- hautdogg likes this