ciannar said: I’m relatively new to this blog (I just found out about you guys yesterday, so ja, I am very new!). But, have you ever done a blog post about the Agnostic fad going around? I’d like to read more into it as I am always humored by Agnostics.
Thank you for the post submission, ciannar … and welcome!
You’re right! People often throw the word “Agnostic” around and don’t completely understand what they’re claiming.
Alright I want to throw my two cents in on this because it seems to be a hot topic for the moment. You’re fully welcome to disagree with me, but as I see it this above explanation is wrong. There is no such thing as an Agnostic Atheist. To be an Atheist you say affirmatively that God does not exist. To be Agnostic you say that we either don’t have the information, the answer is inconsequential, or simply an I don’t know/care. Being agnostic and saying you don’t know doesn’t mean that person assumes there is no God. They may see it as a complete split with a 50/50 chance of God’s existence or non-existence, therefor not Atheist.
The matter of belief/non belief also bothers me quite a bit. What’s the difference between saying, I don’t believe in God, and I believe there is no God? It is a non-belief, but one is phrased as an affirmative belief ultimately resulting in non-existence. The same can be said for I believe there is a God, or I do not believe the world/humans/universe/whatever is possible without God. Just a matter of how you approach the subject, to break it down in the above way is trying to simplify far too much. As far as knowing/believing in God there really is no difference that I see. There is a definite answer to if God exists or not, until there is a definite answer one way or another, all who say they know one way or another are saying they believe, because there is no 100% knowing.
I also have always seen Agnosticism as being a bit of a spectrum, you form your probability of if God does or does not exist and based on where you fall on that spectrum you either fall into another group, or you don’t. If you say no, there is no God, you are Atheist, if you say yes there is a God you either become a Deist or Theist depending on your interpretation of God. If you say I really can’t make a decision one way or another then you are Agnostic, you can lean one way or another but until you’re able to make a decision for yourself on believing or not believing, you’re Agnostic.
I imagine that there are many people that would disagree with me on my point of view with this, but it’s how I see it. I can’t see saying I don’t know leading to either I do or don’t believe, it’s still an I don’t know. I’ve always considered the possible paths to be Atheist-Agnostic-Deist-Theist. No matter what view of God a person holds I feel they could fit into one of these four categories with the Agnostic one being the most broad, but also no affirmative statement of belief or disbelief, of knowing or not knowing. Anyways, just figured I’d throw out my opinion on this as well.
I get so excited watching these discussions unfold (you can say it … I’m a loser). I haven’t really chimed-in with my opinion, but I side with hatefulatheist. I believe that if you don’t believe, but have even 1 ounce of doubt that there could be a god, then you are probably not an atheist. I can say, without a doubt, “There is no god!”. If I had doubt, then I would not call myself an atheist.
I am an agnostic atheist because while I don’t know whether a god exists or not, I don’t believe one does. How hard is that for people to understand?
Atheist/theist applies to belief.
Agnostic/gnostic applies to knowledge.
Apples to oranges, people.
Exactamundo. I think the whole problem is that most people have never heard the term “gnostic”, so they don’t think of “agnostic” in conjunction with its opposite as they do with “atheist”/”theist” (or “believer”).
105 Notes/ Hide
- timeisrough reblogged this from hatefulatheist
- swiss-stallion likes this
- foreverwhatshername likes this
- ubiquitins likes this
- kaya- likes this
- nothing-places likes this
- adgcfad reblogged this from justjasper
- gnarcissistic reblogged this from hatefulatheist and added:
- snomnomdeactivated likes this
- cominatrix reblogged this from justjasper and added:
- lizzieintheskywithbaby likes this
- sugarlandrun likes this
- tenacious-dingo likes this
- i-am-iam-i-am likes this
- lauren-ity reblogged this from hatefulatheist and added:
- esotericmortificationandibs likes this
- yotey likes this
- waterforchocolate likes this
- drinkthe-koolaid reblogged this from theplaceholder and added:
- wings1295 likes this
- neutralangel likes this
- bezanne likes this
- mikesova likes this
- robbinana likes this
- lone-wolf-pack likes this
- rosyeyes reblogged this from therodentqueen and added:
- woeismeh likes this
- jonathan-cunningham likes this
- therodentqueen reblogged this from drinkthe-koolaid and added:
- breanna-lauren likes this
- therodentqueen likes this
- theplaceholder reblogged this from drinkthe-koolaid and added:
- netherworldnative likes this
- princessgamzeemakara likes this
- zacpfaff likes this
- takingupthebanjo likes this
- the-sexpat-life likes this
- justreturningvideotapes likes this
- nolitetebastardes likes this
- titusandtheraindrops likes this
- binaryclouds likes this
- mmmmilk likes this
- tetraghost reblogged this from justjasper
- devilllkitten reblogged this from justjasper